Large Animal Handling Facility
Our Animal Science concentration combines the latest in production technologies and animal management with computer, business, and analysis skills, including an emphasis on the selection, breeding, feeding, and marketing of livestock for a profitable return.
Address Efficiency and Animal Handling Concerns
Beef, swine, and sheep maintained on the College farm provide students with opportunities for practical experience in all aspects of livestock management.
- Limited access for students to engage with faculty and livestock at one time
- Faculty are unable to have students experience all aspects of livestock handling due to space and safety
- Limited ability to practice applied research projects and to create specialized pens and handling equipment
- Animal load out creates stress on animals beyond the norm due to difficult building and pen layout; therefore, Northeast does not typically have semi load outs unless absolutely necessary
- Lab classes cannot easily be held at the farm due to space limitations so animals are loaded and hauled with pickup and trailer daily to the Complex