Farm & Livestock Operations
Northeast Community College seeks to modernize facilities to continue excellent programs for our students, staff, and community, while achieving our vision of reducing food insecurity to help feed the world’s growing population.
The College’s farm operations, housed in the 100-year-old former Norfolk Regional Center Dairy Barn, are outdated. These facilities present multiple issues in providing safe and efficient approaches to teaching and learning.
- Space is not large enough to access additional high-tech equipment or facilitate large animals or growing classes
- Poor ventilation, low ceilings, and improper layout complicate instruction
- Outbuildings have dirt floors, no electricity, leaky roofs and are not large enough to shelter modern machinery from the weather
- Buildings and feedlot have insufficient water drainage
- Farm site design is not conducive to efficient, low-stress movement and handling of animals